Part-Dieu

The district of La Part-Dieu is located in the 3rd arrondissement of the City of Lyon. It is the second most important area of the city after the Presqu'île. Located east of the Rhone, Part-Dieu is a major transport and commercial gateway for Europe, as the very busy Lyon-Part-Dieu railway station is located in the district. The shopping malls is one of the largest shopping malls in all of Europe.

The Part-Dieu quarter, second center of Lyon, is remarkable for the homogeneity of its architecture. The only element that literally stands out is the 142-meter high Crédit Lyonnais Tower, popularly known as the "pencil". It is an obvious visual landmark in the same way as the Fourvière Basilica on the opposite side of town.

For many ages this area was an unsanitary terrain. Its name dates back to the Middle Ages and signifies "property of God". Urban development did not reach here until the 19th century when the east bank of the Rhone was finally linked to the Presqu'île peninsula with new bridges and when the town of La Guillotière was united with the city of Lyon. The clandestine socialist and anarchist meetings held in the area resulted in the 1847 construction of a military barracks, intended to prevent uprisings. After the floods of 1856, the quarter was cleaned up and a new social class settled in, consisting of shopkeepers, employees and civil servants. In 1967, the military grounds and the barracks were ceded to the city which, as early as 1968, decided that the area should be made into a regional administrative and business center.

Public buildings were constructed (the Greater Lyon Urban Community administration offices) as well as a shopping center, office buildings, hotels and apartment buildings and cultural establishments:
  •  The Auditorium: inaugurated in 1975 in homage to composer Maurice Ravel, for whom the hall is named. The Lyon Auditorium's seashell shape was designed by the architects Charles Delfante and Henry Pottier.
  •  The Municipal Library .
  •  The 1978 construction of a TGV train station on a development site covering 24 hectares (60 acres) created a link between the developed western part of the city and the long-neglected east.
Current restructuring projects are under way to give this business district a truly European dimension. The main focus of action is the development of housing, the improvement of public spaces and accessibility.

The Part-Dieu business district represents 500,000 sq. m. of office space, 20,000 jobs, 1000 hotel rooms and numerous services. The development of a diverse and high-quality commercial property offer constitutes a major vector for the renewal of this neighborhood.